Monday, November 19, 2012

Victoria’s Secret apologizes about American Indian outfit-

On Nov. 7th during the Victoria’s Secret Runway show, Karlie Kloss (model) wore a native inspired outfit that many found insulting. In “Native Appropriations” blog there was a long article on why it should have never happened and why it’s so offensive. The company made a public apology to anyone who was offended, that was not their intention at all. They will also cut that look from the broadcast set to date on Dec. 4th and from any marketing materials.




I honestly think it wasn’t such a big deal. I thought the outfit was so pretty. Then again I’m not native so I can’t relate to the people who were offended. If it was portrayed in a bad way to make Native American look bad then I would absolutely agree to pull the look out and the apology. I don’t think it was as big as they made it seem. If I were native I would kind of be ok with them using some costume articles in the show.


1 comment:

  1. I agree that it looks quite nice, and I think a lot of people would agree, including Native American men! We have seen models wear American Flag bikinis and it is not made into an issue. On the other hand, perhaps people were offended if they thought it did not portray the culture in a serious or respectful way.

    ReplyDelete